Supposedly, we are on the verge of new era where touchscreen technology becomes the vogue in DJ industry. Prior to this year, tablet DJ apps was never considered to be a serious thing. With recent announcement of Traktor DJ and now d(–)b, we have to start taking this things a bit more seriously. With more and more powerful tablets, eventually we will be able to ditch our laptop and DJ on tablet completely. d(–)b is brought to you by the people that created Touchable, a full on touch screen controller app for Ableton Live.
From the look of it, this app seems like a promising piece of software. At this moment, it lacks the sophisticated FX that Traktor can offer but eventually they will include some kind of FX. at $16.99, this software is a total bargain. The only draw back is just like Traktor DJ, it will only run on iPad 2 or later which is a bummer for me since I’m still using original iPad. Nonetheless, we’re about to enter a new and exciting era in DJ technology.
▪ Custom browser with access to the iTunes library.
▪ Ultra low-latency touchable waveform with spectrum color-coding.
▪ Comprehensive in-app editor lets you create your own interfaces with up to 6 decks – on one or several pages.
▪ Track analysis with automatic tempo and grid detection.
▪ Manually grid tracks if the detection is off.
-> multi-route audio to precue tracks in stereo. Works with any class-compliant audio device via USB and the iPad Camera
-> split output audio to do mono monitoring.
▪ 4 cue points per deck.
▪ 3 band EQ with kill switches.
▪ optional limiter with variable headroom
▪ EQ Snap and EQ “Magic Triangle”.
▪ Pitch coarse & ﬁne faders for 10% / 1% pitch control.
▪ Loops from 1/64th to 8 bars.
▪ Loop roll while track keeps playing.
▪ Listen to the dry/wet monitor signal on headphones while recording the main stereo mix – without multi-route or split-audio!
▪ Wide range of settings make the app less restrictive, more customizable.